"As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24: 15

Surgery - Oct. 10th

My Triathlon continued yesterday with the second of my three treatment regimens for the Breast Cancer I've been battling...SURGERY! Chemo wasn't fun at all...but a mastectomy can be just plain terrifying. Yet in the midst of it all, God is still faithful and loving towards all He has made! Yesterday instead of being afraid I felt such peace and security in His arms. I woke up singing the words to a song I hear on the radio all the time; they were...'this is all part of His glorious design Hallelujah, Hallelujah...Holy, our God, You are worthy of all our praise'. The song brought such comfort to me, I couldn't help but sing praises to my King as I prepped for surgery. I don't know why I'm here, why I've walked this road, I may never know why...but I'm convinced it's part of his Glorious (yes...GLORIOUS) design for me to be right here, right now. He is big enough and good enough to be able to take this experience and use it for His good and His glory. That has been my prayer throughout...for God to be glorified through this! My family surrounded me yesterday with such love and support. Liz flew in from Bonneyville to help take care of the kids while I'm in the hospital and recouping at home. Kathryn came in from Wichita, and Mom, Dad, and Jennifer all took the day off work to sit with me before and after surgery. The surgery was in the afternoon so I was hungry most of the day...luckily visiting and goofing off with my sisters helped the time and the hunger pass by quickly.
I had to wear a very goofy hat into surgery which none of us could quite figure out. Since I don't have any hair was the hat really necessary? It's not like it was keeping my hair out of my face, or keeping it out of the surgery area, or even keeping it clean from surgery mess. But the nurses insisted I wear it so I donned the goofy hat with a grin...if I can pull off being balled I can pull off the goofy hat!


My surgeon was wonderful, as I was being put under she held my hand and prayed for me. I felt so safe and secure knowing that God was guiding her hands. Surgery went well, but I was in a lot of pain when I woke up. Last night was rough, and I don't remember too much of it because I was heavily drugged. But I did open my eyes every once in a while to add my two cents worth into the conversation between the party of people in my room (it was up to 8 at one point). And even drugged I had enough wits about me to tease the orderlies who wheeled me from recovery to my room...when we arrived at my room they asked me my name and birthdate...I of course made up a fake name and the look on those poor mens faces was worth it...we all had a good laugh! Today the pain has been minimal. I've taken a couple of pain pills here and there but am doing much better than yesterday. God is so faithful, and I have no doubt that he's been with me every step of the way. I can't help but praise Him!



No comments: