"As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24: 15

Race for the Cure - September 20th, 2008

Breast Cancer or not, I have a hard time believing that anyone could have a dry eye at their first encounter with Race for the Cure. I on the other hand, being in the middle of treatment, was glad for the cover my sunglasses lent me as I cried like a baby most of the morning. Mom and I arrived just as the first few 'Timed 5K' runners were nearing the finish line. Seeing them run with such determination and purpose as hundreds of people cheered and encouraged them to finish strong was inspiring. Then little by little the crowd of runners began to thicken and I was shocked at the sheer number of people running the race. As I looked down the road there was a sea of runners as far as I could see. I didn't know a single one of them and they didn't know me, but I couldn't help but feel like they were running with me against this disease that I'm battling. And in their own way cheering me on to a strong finish just as the spectators were cheering them on. As the timed race drew to an end we met up with the ladies from church who were preparing for the next 5k race. And since seeing people I didn't know run a race had made me cry, you can only imagine the tears I was fighting back as I saw women I did know gather together and pin my picture on their backs to walk/run a race for ME! I couldn't help but be taken back to the first few moments after my Doctor called to tell me I had Breast Cancer. I was shocked, my head was spinning, and it felt like I couldn't breathe...but I pulled myself up off the floor and went outside to pray. I began to jog around the block and cry out to God. It was almost as if God was crying with me because it began to gently rain on me. And as the rain fell on me I began to feel His peace and I felt in my heart of hearts the scripture Hebrews 12:1-3

" 1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

I felt from the very beginning that my cancer was part of the race He'd marked out for me life. And while it's not a race I would have signed up to run, I was determined to not only run, but win the cancer race for His glory. Seeing my friends and sisters in the faith come together to run/walk The Race for the Cure in support of me has given me that little extra boost I needed to finish strong. My perseverence had been waivering with the exhaustion I'd been feeling but now I'm refocusing my eyes on Christ as I prepare for Chemo on Monday and for surgery in October. He is my prize! And He is worth it!



Thank you ladies of Christian Chapel for your love and support over these last 3 months. And for Racing for me today...I love you all dearly!

Oh, and for those of you who participated in "Cookies for the Cure" (my sister's bake sale during her garage sale on Sept. 20)...she raised around $220 to help with our medical bills. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I'm overwhelmed with your love and kindness! I wish I had some pictures to share with you but I wasn't there to take any. Hopefully Jen snapped a few shots and I can get them from her and post them later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your LAST treatment today! Sorry we couldn't be down there to run with you, but we'll be running the anchor leg and you can bet we aren't gonna let up til we're passed the finish line.

We're racing with the Cessna team which has 113 members (2nd most ever), so we'll get some pictures with them and maybe some before & after, but an 'action' shot might be hard to come by.

You are in our daily prayers.