"As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24: 15

Race for The Cure 2009 - September 19, 2009

Today Christlyn and I got up way before the sun was even thinking about rising, and headed out to the 2009 Race for The Cure. My very first race as a survivor!!! Now, I'm not what you would call a morning person, in fact I would be perfectly happy if morning just didn't exist and the day began around 11:00 or 11:30. But there was nothing in the world that was keeping me from celebrating this milestone...not even the warmth of my bed on this cool fall morning. So off we went, in the dark, to the race. I was surprised at how many people were already there at 6:30am. The survivor tent was packed and the energy of all the people celebrating life was amazing! I met a woman who is 43 year survivor...wow, God is so good! That was what I needed because recently I've been worried that I would never live to be "old". Meeting and talking with her (86yrs old) and hearing her story and how healthy she's been since beating her cancer gave me hope that this diagnosis doesn't mean that I'll have a shorter life span! Christlyn and I enjoyed a Delicious Panera bagel (cinnamon crunch...my favorite) and fruit before heading off to get our pictures taken in the survivor photo booth. After posing for our portraits I took Christlyn around and introduced her to some of my doctors/nurses that were there manning booths. It was really neat for me to get to introduce Christlyn to them...so that they know who and why I'm fighting, so they have a name and a face to my children not just my file that says I have kids. And I got one surprise greeting from a woman in a pink wig...she came up and gave me a huge hug and called me by name and I was at a complete loss for who she was...come to find out she was a nurse at one of my surgeon's offices who I didn't even know had had breast cancer. I have to say the pink wig was so different from her dark brown hair and reserved personality that I don't feel too bad I didn't recognize her...and we got a good laugh about it! We had a wonderful time and Christlyn has already said she wants to come with me every year...I think she just liked getting all the free goodies handed to her! God is so very good...he's healed me and strengthened me in ways I never thought possible. Today is a celebration of that and his healing power!

No comments: